New collaborative tools
In this new step of the digital era, workgroup has become in one of the most important aspects of the modern workplace. However, widespread Internet availability means that members of the team could be just about anywhere in the world. So for teamwork to be effective, it’s important for companies to adopt modern work practices and technologies that help co-workers, wherever they are, share their tasks in a simple and efficient way.
In a simplest definition, collaboration tools are applications designed to help two or more people work towards a common goal by providing a collaborative work environment. A workgroup or team will often use collaboration tools as a way for members to interact.
The adoption of collaborative tools provides great benefits to companies and a strong comparative advantage in terms of organization. As explained by experts on the matter, a collaborative approach allows important advantages such as the following.
- It’s easy to keep track of projects. Online collaboration tools have a variety of project tracking capabilities that make it easy for team members to see the evolution of a project from day one.
- Team members can work from anywhere. As long as they have an Internet connection, team members can be working remotely from anywhere in the world.
- Ease of reporting. Nearly every project has some kind of reporting associated… and report time is usually stressful. Using a good online collaboration tool may be useful to generate detailed reports -that include all of the activities associated with a certain project- more speedily, thus giving team members more time to work on result-generated activities.
- Actions are done quickly. With a good online collaboration tool, there is no longer a need for arranging a meeting or phone call in order to review documents. Documents can be uploadedinto the tool, and reviewers can be automatically notified via email that documents have been uploaded.
- Documents are all stored in a single place. This facilitates all team members to have access to the necessary documents, regardless of their location. Indeed, employees do not have to save documents onto a USB stickor other storage media if they plan on working on them remotely, and any updates to a document are shown immediately.
Setting our own workgroup scenario
In Trakti, we have been working on developing a scenario to encourage cooperation and interaction within the system. We have been assessing the importance of these improvements, considering the potential benefits that a collaborative tool could offer to the people in charge of negotiations, and trying to solve one of the problems that our users express more often (the need for flowing information, confirmation and approval from their supervisors or other departments).
Our workgroup tool is designed to help people involved in a common negotiation in order to get the best deal. At the moment we’ve developed an internal tool where different company members can share work items and queries, manage files, projects, make plans and discuss ideas with their team mates.
Finally, as we believe that the conversations business-related are part of the companies’ patrimony, we offer the possibility to store them all. These pieces of information will be ready to be retrieved by any of the companies’ members when necessary.